Thursday, May 3, 2012

Erikson’s Young Adult Psychosocial Development


Erikson’s Young Adult Psychosocial Development

            Today I was hanging out with a couple of my subjects, 5504 and 5512. 5504 had brought over a friend, a new guy and they were chatting.  He seemed a little quiet and reserved, a young man of 22 about five years younger then her. 
            5504 was drinking and being flirtatious, and I couldn’t help but think of Erikson’s Young Adult Stage of Psychosocial Development.  For the young adult stage David Myers summarized Erikson. “Young adults struggle to form close relationships and to gain the capacity for intimate love, or they feel socially isolated.” (Myers, 2009).   I began to ponder 5504 and the misadventures in love she has had lately, seeming time after time to find love only to lose it.  I found myself looking at this young man wondering if he was a friend, a fling or hope for more.  Two days before she had broken up with her boyfriend, went into severe depression for a day, took a day to recover and already was partying with a new guy.
            5512 on the other hand had wanted someone to read over her divorce papers as that relationship was drawing to an end.  I looked at these two ladies and wondered why the world worked this way.  Here I was watching one relationship possibly taking root, and another one falling apart.  Neither relationship was close knit, and they were forming a bond of support between themselves, in actuality the friendship between them was stronger than the relationship between the two and the men in their lives.
            I found myself asking, would these changes bring either one of them the happiness they desired.  I concluded no it probably would not.  5504 was going to be in a relationship that might be fun for a while; I don’t see them wanting the same things in life.  He accessed his email from his phone and began to show us sexual ads the was getting from girls on Craigslist, while 5504 I know is looking for a guy in her life, who will be solely committed to her, and let her have every moment of his time.  That was the reason it did not work out between her ex-boyfriend and her, he wanted to take some time and do things just him and his friends.  I had to ask myself if this young man was going to give her what she wanted; I doubted it was possible for any man.  5512 desires freedom from a relationship of dishonesty and infidelity, but she is already looking toward other men for companionship. I feel she needs to take time from the relationship and heal.  She feels she is past that step.
            Six months from now I don’t see either woman satisfied with their lives, and they will both probably have different men there than they do now.  As Erikson pointed out, I see them searching for love or feeling left out.  Would Erikson consider these two normal?  Do I?

Works Cited

Myers, D. (2009). Psychology in Everyday Life. New York: Worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment