Sunday, March 20, 2011

Accidental Existence?

Day two of the Purpose Driven Life
"You are not an Accident" I had to take myself out of my own shoes for this one, my parents were married when  I was born and I was the first planned child in their union, so I was named after my father, and yes I named my son after me.
Accidental Existence?  I never even thought about that before.  Sure I heard stories of unplanned pregnancies, I have even heard of rapes leading to pregnancy.  But never accidental pregnancy.  I guess I could understand the concept, pretty much an unplanned pregnancy, heat of the moment, didn't have protection, but accident and unplanned are two very different things.  Yes you can have a lapse of judgement or a horrible crime happen and end up pregnant, but you can't slip on the ice and end up pregnant. At least as far as I know.
So trying to get into the mind set of "My life is an accident." was difficult for me.  I look at the abortion issue as a result of unplanned (usually but not always) pregnancies.  Lapse of judgement and then needing a quick cure.  I will get into this at a later time though.
To try and think that someone is an accident is so demeaning to the concept of life.  Sure surprises aren't always planned, but life is NEVER by accident.
I found myself agreeing with Mr. Warren.  He wrote a couple of very powerful statements for those struggling with the concept of being an unwanted, unplanned or even an accidental person.

"While there are illegitimate parents, there are no illegitimate children. Many children are unplanned by their parents, but they are not unplanned by God.  God's purpose took into account human error, and even sin.  God never does anything accidentally, and he never makes mistakes.  He has a reason for everything he creates. Every plant and every animal was planned by God, and every person was designed with a purpose in mind" (p. 23).

If you are struggling with wondering if you have a purpose, if you were even meant to be, if you should even make it the next day.  Let me say a resounding YES to all three questions, God believes in you, even if you don't believe in Him.

So another day comes to an end,
Thank you for reading this blog, you can mark to follow it.  If you have questions or comments please feel free to ask or state your opinions below.
In Christ,
Jim

A Purpose Driven Life is written by Rick Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment